"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Telling My Boss

Today I told my boss about the surgery.  I had already asked off of work for that week, but I wanted to wait until closer to the date before I told her about the surgery.  She was actually really cool about it.  She was supportive and even asked me to keep her updated and spill all the details once I have it done.  She may be interested in the surgery herself one day.


So I feel so relieved.  I hate missing work--especially for surgery.  One of my co-workers took off months and months following a surgery a couple of years ago.  My co-worker misses work on a fairly regular basis, and I don’t want the comparison.  I want to make sure I am doing my work and that I’m dependable even when I’m dealing with medical issues.


I have been so humbled by all the fabulous reactions to my surgery news.  Granted, I made sure to tell only the people I trust the most.  But I was still expecting some people to react negatively out of worry.  Honestly, everyone has been terrific.  I know this will probably not be the case when other people find out.  I’m not sure how my Dad will react or how some of my co-workers and other friends will behave.  Maybe I will have good luck and not have to deal with negativity and judgement.  Most likely I will still have to deal with some people being assholes.  

I am so excited about this surgery.  I think I have waited for so long now… and it’s finally just around the corner.  I wouldn’t let myself believe that it was finally happening, but it is!  And it’s almost here!  I’m ready to kick ass and take names!

No comments:

Post a Comment