"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Meditation and Journaling with Cards

I wanted to talk a little bit about Tarot cards.  I’m not into fortune-telling or anything; I’m more of a science gal.  But I will totally admit that I have long been fascinated with tarot cards.  I think they have an interesting history, but I also love the artwork of some decks.

A blogger that I have enjoyed reading for a couple of years now uses tarot cards for something else--meditation.  Her name is Susannah Conway and I enjoy her photography and her newsletters.  At the end of each newsletter she always shares a tarot card (from all kinds of decks!) and the meaning.  It’s lovely, and I thought it might be interesting to get my own deck.

I chose the Joie de Vivre tarot deck by Paulina Cassidy.  It just felt like the right choice for where I am in life right now.  I am hoping that over time I will grow my collection!

Today I chose the Four of Wands, which means “vitality, growth, celebration, partnership, stability”  How fitting!


There are a number of ways to use the cards…  some people will draw a card (or select one that’s appropriate for where they are or what they are seeking) and meditate on the card.  You can meditate actively by thinking about the card and it’s meanings for you or you can begin a deep breathing meditation and visualize the card just being aware of your thoughts.  Another thing you can do is to journal about the card--you can do is a stream of consciousness writing about the card, or you can make it more about describing the card and writing about it’s meanings.  I love the stream of consciousness writing idea, so I may incorporate this into my morning journal writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment